Low Carb Foods List and What Are They Good For. Low carb foods are edible things that have low percentage of carbohydrates. These foods are used when someone is on a low carbohydrate diet. These are special diets, used for specific purposes. There are a lot of foods that can be categorized into low carb foods. Mostly low carb foods are the ones that are high in protein or high in dietary fiber. These are some foods that are considered low carb foods.
Low carb foods list :
- Protein rich foods are obviously low carbohydrate foods. This includes fish, chicken, mutton, pork, beef etc.
- Some Dairy Products like yogurt and cheese are low carb foods. Mayonnaise is also a low carb food.
- One of the best low carb foods is Egg. This includes both chicken eggs and quail eggs. So, you can enjoy eggs or omelet in your breakfast even on a low carb diet.
- Olive oil is also a low carb food.
- Nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachios etc can be added to a low carb diet.
- High fiber fruits and vegetables are also a part of low carb foods. However, high calorific fruits like banana and starchy vegetables are not low carb foods. Vegetables that are included are greens like dandelion, beets, and other fibrous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, zucchini and tomatoes.
A low carb diet is generally planned based on the proposed amount of carbohydrate calories that you have decided to take. For diabetic people, nutritionists generally advise a very low carb diet. And even in carbohydrates, most of their carb calories come from whole grain products. These carbs are good for people with diabetes even on a low carb diet because they have very low glycemic index.
Foods to avoid in a low carb diet. The following foods are avoided in a low carb diet.
- Sugars and foods that contain simple sugars.
- Potatoes and bananas. These two foods contain lot of calories and are full of carbohydrates.
- Seeds like melon seeds, pumpkin seeds etc are high in carbohydrates.
- Legumes and pulses also contain carbohydrates in large quantity, so they are also avoided in a low carb diet.
It is important to understand that eating low carb foods does not mean that you take lesser calories than what is required. It is just a shift from carbohydrate rich foods to other foods which are low in carb calories and more in proteins and fats. But, one must not eat excess of fats as this could lead to unhealthy weight gain. So, the point is to plan out a low carb foods list and then prepare a low carb diet which contains a proper balance between proteins and fats.
What are low carb foods used for ? Well, a low carb diet is used for special purposes, like these.
- People with diabetes are generally advised to take a low carb diet. It stabilizes their blood sugar levels.
- Low carb diet is also recognized as a feasible way to lose weight by many organizations. However, there is something to note here. This diet is not meant for long term weight management. It may be used only temporarily, for short term weight loss. To maintain that weight, you need to adopt a balanced diet.
Low carb foods generally have high fiber content, so they can be used for a bowel cleanse diet.