Okra health benefits for hair, diabetes and nutrition . Okra is a vegetable that is delicious to taste. In many countries, it is known by its more common name, lady’s fingers. This vegetable is easily cultivated in tropical and subtropical regions of the world. It is also grown in Western Europe and United States of America. Okra is a pod vegetable with a beautiful flower. Mature fruits are slender pods , about a finger long and green in color. A unique property of Okra is that when you slice it, a gelatinous substance is secreted. This substance is called mucilage. Many health benefits of eating Okra can be attributed directly to the high mucilage content of this vegetable.
Okra health benefits and its nutritional content :
- Okra helps to reduce constipation and relieve intestinal troubles. The mucilage found in okra aids in better movement of food through the intestine . It can also help in regularizing bowel movement. However, okra pods should be cooked in such a way that the mucilage does not reduce. Frying the pods obviously reduces the mucilage concentration .
- Okra’s mucilage is alkaline in nature. It helps to maintain the alkaline environment of the digestive tract after the stomach. This means that when you eat Okra pods, alkalinity of the tract is ensured, much like antacids. This also prevents the occurrence of peptic ulcers , which can be painful. Okra also forms a favorable diet for pro biotic organisms in our intestine. When probiotics thrive in the intestine, we have better digestive health.
- Okra contains substances that extract cholesterol out. It aids in flushing toxins from the liver. This way, Okra pods contribute to better health by regulating cholesterol in body.
- Lady’s fingers is also believed to regulate blood sugar levels and keep them in control. This function is beneficial for diabetes where such foods help to lower blood sugar levels.
- This vegetable is a good source of Vitamin C , K and folate besides many other vitamins. Almost half of the daily requirement of Vitamin K can be obtained from 100 grams of fresh okra pods. It is an excellent source of Manganese and Iron as well.
- Okra also contains a number of antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavonoids. These all nutrients bolster our health and longevity.
Okra is a versatile vegetable in many ways. It can be prepared in many ways . In India, it is known by the name bhindi , which has also become popular as the name of this vegetable . Okra is also known for being a substitute for coffee.
It is recommended to eat a variety of vegetables round the week to get to optimum health. Okra is both delicious and healthy at the same time, so one must also include it in diet. Specially children who shy away from some vegetables often like to eat Okra. The digestive benefits that this vegetable provides can be of great relief to people who have irritable bowel syndrome ( IBS ) and chronic constipation. Okra is also sometimes used by women to wash their hair. It is believed that Okra benefits the hair, adds shine to them and makes them look having more volume.