Swollen Eyelid Causes and Home remedies, Tips. Swollen Eyelid is generally not a major problem. It can however cause a lot of discomfort and even pain in the eyes. It is really disgusting to wake up with a swollen eyelid. There are several causes behind a swollen eyelid. Most of the causes are not serious conditions. In most cases, swollen eyelid may get well on its own and you too can speed up recovery by using some home remedies. But, if the swollen eyelid does not well in a day or two, then it might be a reason for concern. Swollen eyelid can also be a symptom of an underlying disease or a vision problem. If a baby ( toddler ) has swollen eyelids, then it becomes difficult to use home remedies and going to the doctor is a better option. In rare cases, swollen eyelids and irritation is also caused by personal allergies and this can become a chronic condition. Such people should get a check up as allergies are never easy to go away.
Some Common Causes of Swollen Eyelid and How you can treat them at home with home remedies.
- Bacterial Infection : An infection can occur at the eyelashes, which can show up as redness and itching at the eyelids. You can see it is clear mild swelling at the upper eyelid near the eyelashes. It is mainly caused due to contributing factors of sweat, bacteria, body’s oil ( sebum ) etc. You should wash your eyelids with a cotton cloth dipped in warm water. See that the cloth does not irritate your skin, else the condition can worsen.
- Contact dermatitis of the eyelid skin , mainly by Makeup products. Contact dermatitis is a skin condition. It may be caused by common everyday products like soap, shampoo etc. Makeup products can also cause contact dermatitis. This can lead to excessive itching and dryness of the eyelids. You should wash your eyes properly. Check that your makeup is non comedogenic and non allergic to your eyelid skin.
- Conjunctivitis or “Pink Eye” : In this condition, even the eyes may be red, swollen and itchy. Pink eye can be seen as visible redness in the eyes and it can be caused by pathogens or even allergy. Pink eye may be also lead to eyelid sticking.
- Lice : These scalp organisms may also start living in the eyelashes and eye brows. Lice suck blood and it may be painful. It is one of the most common causes of swollen eyelid in children. But, do not use anti lice shampoo near the eyes. Rather use petroleum jelly on the eyelids and eyebrows to suffocate the lice.
- May be caused by Contact Lenses : If you use contact lenses, swollen eyelids and eye irritation may occur. It is better to remove the contact lenses for some days and get a check up. Always strive for excellent hygiene with contact lens usage.
- Stye : It is a pimple on the eyelid and may also occur on the inside of the eyelid. Styes cause irritation, itching and even pain in the eyes besides swelling on the eyelids. Styes can be on the lower or upper eyelids. They normally get well on their own. Styes may however develop into a harder cyst called Chalazion which is a problem for the eyes.
Other than these common causes of puffy eyelids, swelling can emerge in the eyelids because of some medical conditions which need to treated.
- Swollen eyelids can be caused by medical conditions like fluid retention, hyperthyroidism and ocular herpes. These diseases may cause swelling in your eyelids and they can be more persistent. Home remedies like cold compress, washing with warm , moist cloth or placing cucumbers may be less effective in these cases.
Some General Tips if you have swollen eyelid :
- If they occur regularly, then you should get tested for allergies.
- If you are having pain in the eyes and difficulty in seeing, then also you should consult the doctor. Pain should not be neglected.
- Use a good quality eye drop on a regular basis to keep your eyes clean. Environmental pollutants can cause swollen eyelids and they should be removed quickly.
- Wash your eyes daily with really cold water. This helps to keep eyes cool and fresh.