Tabby cat personality and behavior. Tabby Cat is the most commonly domesticated cat. A tabby cat is one which has a unique design on its coat, mainly strips, dots and whirls. They have a “M” type mark on the forehead, which is a quick identifier of a tabby cat. There is popular misconception that Tabby is a breed of cats. This is wrong. Tabby cat is any cat which has the distinctive design. Tabby cats are cute, sharp and very intelligent. Although other cats are also intelligent, these cats learn well to live with humans and enjoy their lives.
( Photo Courtesy: malfet )
Tabby cats come in all sorts of colors, but the most common colors are black, grey, brown and orange.There is research going on regarding how the tabby cat got its beautiful patterns. Updates suggest that this may be a relation between the common tabby cat and other felines like cheetahs and leopards. Tabby cats may not be of one breed, but they do have some ” tabby cat personality ” traits in common. These are social cats which get well adjusted to our lifestyle.
Personality and behavior of tabby cats.
- Tabby cats are more loving and affectionate than other cats. Most cats and other animals of the cat family remain aloof. However, this is not the case with tabby cats. They love humans and particularly like someone within the family. Just like we have different affection levels towards different people, tabby cats too choose their favorites. A tabby cat may be more responding to you than to your sister.
- Tabby cats are playful and like to stay merry. They like to play games, or play with other pets in the house. They also get popular among other pets in the family. Parrots, for example can become great friends of a tabby cat. Kids love tabby cats and they reciprocate this affection.
- Tabby cats can be moody. They can be quite playful at times and then become shy. They may have inherited such nature from humans. It is not that all tabby cats have similar personality traits. Each cat has a different personality. Some tabby cats are lazy, some very enthusiastic, some like to stay indoors while others may want to roam around many times a day.
- Upbringing of a tabby cat affects its nature. The kind of people that they live with and the way they have been brought up can play a major role in shaping their personality.
- Tabby cats attach preference to things. That is, they like certain things and if they are not allowed to do, they can get angry or annoyed. They may like a particular room or a particular place in the house, play with one person and ignore the others and traits like that.
- They are rarely attacking in nature. Tabby cats are easy going cats which like to stay with humans.
Tabby cats are categorized into four types based on their patterns – Mackerel tabby ( stripes like fish bones ) , Spotted Tabby ( having dots/spots ) , Classic tabby ( whirling stripes ) and Ticked tabby ( some isolated bands of color ) . Some colors are found lesser in tabby cats like red color, silver and blue. So, these colors may be considered exotic tabby cat colors.
Tabby cat is a wonderful pet and a domestic animal. It adds cheer to life and makes a great combination with people. Tabby cats are rarely shy and they feel comfortable in public. Tabby cats are so common that people are constantly searching for good names for their pets. If you are not able to come up with good names, try looking up names of characters in books or movies of other cultures.