Who does not like crunchy and little sweet nuts! We all have listened that this is considered as best nuts among all and it is true even. This is actually a fruit of drupe type, which ahs hard cover and seed in center. In this fruit the seed is edible and known as almond widely. Almond is a deciduous tree that grows approx 13 to 33 ft in height. The flowers of the tree are white to pink in color. Almonds belong to rose family. Almond is covered by shell. Almond is a brown seed at outer side and inside it is milky white. It has generally no taste rather than a little sweet, yet it is delicious and most favorite among people.
Source of Almond over globe
In regions those have temperature from 15 to 29 degree Celsius can be suitable for almonds. Worldwide production of the almonds was 3.2 million tons in year 2016. The top countries to produce the almonds among the world were United States, Spain, Iran, Morocco, Italy and Australia. Only United States produces the 2,002,742 tons of the almonds. These top countries export the fruit over the globe. Other countries such as India, Japan, etc import this fruit.
History and Discovery of Almond
The word Almond derived from old French language as allemande. This fruit is native to Middle East in Mediterranean climate regions such as India, Pakistan, Turkey, Syria etc. It was spread to south America and northern Africa. Further it was transported to other parts of the globe such as California, United states etc. It is believed that almonds were first domesticated fruit in the world.
Different names of Almond in Different languages
- The scientific name of this fruit is Prunus dulcis.
- Badam is the Indian hindi or gujarati name of the Almond.
- In Spanish language almond is known as almendra.
- In Chinese language, Almonds are known as Xingren.
- In Japanese language almonds are known as Amondo.
- In Italy it is known as Mandorla.
- In Russian language it is known as mindal’nyy.
Nutrition Database of Almond
|Nutrient||Unit||Value per 100 g|
|Total lipid (fat)||g||49.93|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||g||21.55|
|Fiber, total dietary||g||12.5|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||mg||0|
|Vitamin A, RAE||µg||0|
|Vitamin A, IU||IU||2|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||mg||25.63|
|Vitamin D (D2 + D3)||µg||0|
|Vitamin K (phylloquinone)||µg||0|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||g||3.802|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||g||31.551|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||g||12.329|
|Fatty acids, total trans||g||0.015|
Properties of Almond
- Antioxidants: This property works to reduce oxidation of cells and protect body cells from the damaging effects of oxidation.
- Anticancer: This fruit contains such Derivatives that can be used in cancer relief. It is helpful in colon cancer, breast cancer, and skin cancers mostly.
- Antihypertensive: This property works to lower the high blood pressure.
- Anti-aging: The antioxidants and vitamins can strengthen the skin and brighten it, and reduces the wrinkles, tans, etc.
- Anti-tumor: This property works to cut the growth of rapidly increasing tumors.
- Antimutagenic: This property has ability to inactivate the mutation rate, which can prevent fast translation of cells.
- Cardioprotective: This property work to protect heart, and increases its strength by reducing cholesterol level in blood, and by decreasing thickness of blood vessels.
- Digestive: It also serves as digestive because it is a good source of fiber and a detoxifier, which purify immune system and Promote digestion.
- Low glycaemic index: This is the most significant property, because of this properly the blood carbohydrates level and sugar level can be controlled, and so the diabetes can be controlled.
- Neuroprotective: This is also a significant property found in rare food, which recovers the brain cells from damage and regeneration, and in general improve the efficiency of brain.
Benefits of the Almond in health
- Cures cancer: Cancer is being rapidly increasing disease over the globe nowadays. And it is hard to prevent after a stage of cancer even by treatments. Along with the treatments and chemotherapy such diet can be beneficial in lowering the effects of cancer or by reducing the chances of cancer such as almond, fruits etc. Although study and technologies are developing for reducing cancer, there is no doubt nuts are healthiest food to include in diet.
- Breast cancer: Breast cancer is the gynecologic malignancy, which is formed in the cells of breast. It is found in form of lumps in women breast. It causes the malignant tumor growth in breast tissues. Breast cancer is second most common type of cancer. It is found in a study of Colima University in Mexico that the nuts like almond can be beneficial in breast cancer. The institute experimented on 97 patients and concluded that almond reduces the risk of breast cancer.
- Colon cancer: Colon cancer is a type of cancer in which causes abdominal pain and irregular bowel movements because of the cancer cells in large intestine. Almonds are rich source of fiber and that is why it is considered as a best diet for reducing the cancer. In an observation on 826 patients that is concluded that those who regularly taking almonds had 42% less chances of increasing cancer, and 52% less of death. Almond reduces the growth of abnormal cells in tissues in surrounding of malignant cancer cells.
- Skin cancer: Skin cancer is a type of cancer, which is most common among both men and women. In skin, cancer the skin starts to produces the abnormal cells in skin. The skin cancer has worst effect on skin especially on the part that is exposed to the sun as Ultra violet rays of the Sun increase the damage. Almond contain vitamin E, little amount of omega 3 fatty acid and vitamins those can be beneficial in recovering the texture of skin as well as protecting from UV rays of sun, also the Almond oil can be used for skin.
- Almonds Boosts your Brain: May be you are listening since childhood by mom that almonds increase your memory p Yes! Your mom is right! Almonds are good for your overall brain functions not only for memory improvement. Vitamin E, folate, fatty acid, and vitamin B6 are contained in Almond. Therefore, it manages the metabolism of protein and protein works for brain cells formation, and also generation of new cells in brain. Vitamin B6 promotes the neurotransmitter chemicals that improve the brain cells communication. Moreover, Almonds contains l-carnitine, which works as Neuroprotective compound and can be helpful in brain functionalities.
- Almond as an energy drink Almond is full of calcium and As we know that calcium is best for our muscles and bones, it will strengthen the bones and nerves. The calories contained in almond increases the energy and that is tend to enables the organs and going boost functions related bones and muscles. Therefore, it is recommended for athletes and players to intake at least 3 to 4 soaked almonds a day. Moreover, it is contained with vitamins and nutrients those are going to be good for overall functionalities.
- Almond in weight loss One cup of almond milk contains the 60 calories and whole milk contains the 142 calories, which shows almond is beneficial for weight loss diet. Moreover, contains enough nutrients that will balance your diet and will provide you energy. The regular milk contains lactose, which is not in almond and that is why it is easy to be digested.
- Almonds in Anemia recovery: Anemia is caused by lack of red blood cells in blood or it is also said the lack of hemoglobin counts. In anemia, the person gets such symptoms as lethargic body, indigestion, sleep deprivation, crams in body etc. This fruit contains such compounds as vitamins, minerals and fiber, which can be good for recovery after anemia. Therefore, it will recover the weak metabolism systems and it will boost energy of body and mind.
- Almonds good for heart health: Almonds can reduce 45% risks of heart stroke. It reduces the hypertension and let the blood flow easily from vessels. It reduces the cholesterol level from the blood and that will eventually be beneficial for your heart. It will reduce the risk of thickness of blood vessels and will not block it, which will stop heart attack. It improves the functionalities of heart and makes it stronger because it contains protein, less in sodium and an antioxidant that are good properties for heart health.
- Almonds in diabetes: Almonds have law glycaemic index, therefore it does not contains sugar in it. This property is beneficial for the diabetic patients who are suffering from high sugar level. However, it does not cause any harm to diabetic patients who are suffering from lower sugar level. Moreover, other nutrients keep your body energetic.
- Almonds in Cosmetic health:
- Skin care: Almonds are amazing for skin. It contains vitamin E in significant amount that is core nutrient for improving skin. It protect your skin from heavy harmful ultra violate rays in sunlight. It reduces the pigmentations and spots from the skin. It enlightens the skin and increases its glow. As an anti ageing agent it reduces the wrinkles, and brightens your skin by making your skin muscles strong. It reduces the under eye circles. Antioxidants of almonds clean the skin and remove the toxins from it. By directly eating almonds are good as well as the organic almond essential oil is also available in market that can be used in regular skin care treatment.
- Hair care: You must have come across Almond oil facts for hair once in your lifetime. It is famous oil in hair treatment. There is another reason most women like this oil in use because it is not much sticky like other oils as it is hassle free oil. Almonds contain vitamin E and that is considered as great nutrient for hair. Almonds or almonds oil can recover the problems related hairs. It increases the hair growth, and strengthens its roots that prevents the hair fall further. It is beneficial for recovering dry hair, it is a natural conditioner and smoothen your hair by providing silky and shiny form of your hair. Moreover, in dandruff it can be beneficial.
Risks and Precautions
- Risk: Eating too many almonds at once can cause digestive issues.
Precautions: It is recommended do not intake too many almonds at once.
- Risk: It can cause vitamin E overdose. Half cup of almonds contains 25gm vitamin E approximately, while in regular our body needs only 12gm a day.
Precautions: It is recommended not to take over much of almonds, although it does not cause heavy side effects it may cause diarrhea sometimes.
- Risk: Our daily need of manganese is around 1.3 to 2.3, while half cup of almonds alone gives 2.3 but that is not considered as an advantage as we gain manganese from other foods as well.
Precautions: Over much amount of manganese, can side effects with medicines, so it is advisable to take 6 to 7 if you take regularly.
Myths vs. Reality
- Myths: Some people believe that the more you will intake these almonds more you will have its advantage.
Reality: It is always recommended to consider side effects before eating too much of it.
Rare facts about Almond
- It is rarely known that almonds belong to peach family.
- Biologically almonds are considered as drupe fruit rather than nut.
- There are two types of almonds. One that is sweet and used as edible nuts. Other is bitter Almonds that are used mostly in oil.
- The almond have long life because of vitamin E, it can be refrigerated for 2 years.
- Almost 1000 pounds of almonds give one pint of almond oil.
- In Sweden it is believed that those who can find almond hidden in rice on the day of Christmas can have good year.